1,5kg apples Golden Delicious and Gala
2 tablespoons lemon juice
150gr brown sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
420gr all-purpose flour
1 pinch of salt
280gr unsalted butter
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
150ml of water
1 egg yolk, beaten
- Make the pie crust by adding one by one ingredient in a medium-sized bowl. After mixing it, shape into a ball and then wrap it into cling film and let it chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Peeled and sliced apples place into a large mixing bowl and add lemon juice.
- In a smaller bowl stir brown sugar, flour, and cornstarch and then transfer to a bowl with apples.
- Once the dough is refrigerated, divide it into 2 pieces. One should be twice the size than the other. The bigger portion will be the bottom crust, and the smaller one the top crust.
- Preheat oven to 200°C degrees.
- Roll out larger dough using a rolling pin. If the dough is sticking to the surface or to the rolling pin add a bit more flour. Roll it until it’s about 1-2cm in thickness. Place the pie dough lightly into a pie plate that has been previously coated with butter.
- Add the apple filling on top of the bottom crust.
- Roll out the second dough, similarly. When the dough is about 1-2cm think cut into 10 even strips using a pizza cuter of a knife. Arrange strips over the top in a woven lattice pattern to cover the filling. Brush generously the strips with 1 beaten egg yolk.
- Bake the pie for about 60 minutes on 200°C degrees, however, check regularly for the crust.
- After it’s baked make sure to cool the pie for at least 1 hour before slicing. It could be served with some vanilla ice cream on the side.