American Apple Pie
So old but so good. Many people love pies, but mostly those that are homemade. And thus, no other pie is as traditional as one with apple filling.
1,5kg apples Golden Delicious and Gala
2 tablespoons lemon juice
150gr brown sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
420gr all-purpose flour
1 pinch of salt
280gr unsalted butter
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
150ml of water
1 egg yolk, beaten
- Make the pie crust by adding one by one ingredient in a medium-sized bowl. After mixing it, shape into a ball and then wrap it into cling film and let it chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Peeled and sliced apples place into a large mixing bowl and add lemon juice.
- In a smaller bowl stir brown sugar, flour, and cornstarch and then transfer to a bowl with apples.
- Once the dough is refrigerated, divide it into 2 pieces. One should be twice the size than the other. The bigger portion will be the bottom crust, and the smaller one the top crust.
- Preheat oven to 200°C degrees.
- Roll out larger dough using a rolling pin. If the dough is sticking to the surface or to the rolling pin add a bit more flour. Roll it until it’s about 1-2cm in thickness. Place the pie dough lightly into a pie plate that has been previously coated with butter.
- Add the apple filling on top of the bottom crust.
- Roll out the second dough, similarly. When the dough is about 1-2cm think cut into 10 even strips using a pizza cuter of a knife. Arrange strips over the top in a woven lattice pattern to cover the filling. Brush generously the strips with 1 beaten egg yolk.
- Bake the pie for about 60 minutes on 200°C degrees, however, check regularly for the crust.
- After it’s baked make sure to cool the pie for at least 1 hour before slicing. It could be served with some vanilla ice cream on the side.